Kaišiadorys district municipality

  Administrative centre – Kaišiadorys
  Area – 1087 km² (13.4 % of the county’s area)
  Population – 35 905 (5.3 % of the county’s population)
  Wards – Kaišiadorys parish, Kaišiadorys town, Kruonis, Nemaitonys,   Palomenė, Paparčiai, Pravieniškės, Rumšiškės, Žasliai, Žiežmariai parish,   Žiežmariai


Kaišiadorys district municipality is located in the western part of Kaunas county, between Kaunas Lagoon (Reservoir), the Nemunas and the Neris. There are just a few lakes, the largest whereof are those of Kalviai, Žasliai, Neprėkšta. The shortage of natural lakes is compensated by artificial ponds (reservoirs), the largest whereof – Kaunas Lagoon (Reservoir) (one-third whereof is located within Kaišiadorys district) and one of the largest reservoirs in the country – the basin of the Kruonis Pumped Storage Plant. There are the Lapainia botanical, Būda, Kaukinė botanical zoological, Lomena, Budeliai, Strošiūnai landscape, Gabriliava pedological reserves. The main forests – those of Pravieniškės-Būda, Strošiūnai, Kaukinė. Pine and spruce forests predominate. Agricultural land makes up 50.2 %, forests – 31.5 %, roads – 2.4 %, built-up area – 3.4 %, water bodies – 3.5 %, other land – 9 % of the municipality.

There are two towns – Kaišiadorys and Žiežmariai, and three townships – Kruonis, Rumšiškės and Žasliai. The location of the centre of the district municipality – Kaišiadorys, situated in a rather colourless territory, surrounded by peat bogs and woodland, is strategically favourable: between the two largest cities of Lithuania – the capital city of Vilnius and Kaunas. The two cities are connected by the key national highways and railway lines, which cross Kaišiadorys district. Kaišiadorys was for the first time mentioned in 1782 as an estate. The formation of the town started in the second half of the 19th century, as the construction of a railway line Kaunas–Vilnius had been started in 1862. In 1862, the first train passed by Jatkonys (later the Jatkonys railway station was renamed to Kaišiadorys railway station). In 1919, the first train in Lithuania departed from Kaišiadorys to Radviliškis. Kaišiadorys is also a bishopric centre. In 1915–1919 and 1946–1950, it was a county centre. Timber, food and light industry, agriculture are developed in the town and district. There is the Veterinary Institute of the Lithuanian Veterinary Academy.

The main historical and cultural monuments – Pakalniškiai, Migonys, Dovainonys, Mūro Strėvininkai and other castle mounds; the churches of St Michael the Archangel, the Virgin Mary, Our Lady of Angels in Rumšiškės, the church of St Anthony of Padua in Kalviai, Žiežmariai manor  and warehouse, a former building of a pub in Kruonis, a memorial house of V. Ruokis in Kaišiadorys, the home of the cardinal V. Sladkevičius in Guronys, and others. Rumšiškės that is famed for its folk life museum, works of fork artists, beauteous nature is a peculiar centre of attraction.In recent years, four rural tourism farmsteads, receiving visitors not only from Lithuania, but also from abroad, started functioning in the area.

Places which are worth visiting – Kaišiadorys Museum, Lithuanian Folk Life Museum under the open sky, Jonas Aistis-Aleksandravičius Museum in Rumšiškės.