Administrative centre – Palanga
Area – 79 km² (1.5 % of the county’s area)
Population – 17 620 (4.7 % of the county’s population)
Palanga town municipality is situated in the northwest of Lithuania, in Klaipėda county, by the Baltic Sea. The town is crossed by the Rąžė River, which bears 10 larger and smaller bridges. Built-up area makes up 12.9 %, forests – 39.9 %, roads – 2.6 %, water bodies – 1.8 %, agricultural land – 20.5 %, other land – 22.2 % of the municipality.
Palanga town municipality covers Palanga town, as well as the settlements of Šventoji and Būtingė.
Palanga is one of the oldest settlements in Lithuania, which as far as in the 13th–14th centuries already was not only a fishermen’s village, but also a well-known trade centre and one of the most important ports in Lithuania. In 1756, it was granted a free trade privilege; around 1791, supposedly, it may have already had self-government. At the beginning of the 19th century, Palanga became a well-known summer resort. In 1824, Palanga was bought by a count Mykolas Tiškevičius (Michał Tyszkiewicz). The impact of the counts Tyszkiewicz on the development of the town is obvious. A park was laid out, a new manor was built, a port was established, a brick factory was constructed, a resort with spas was founded, a new church was built. After a rebellion against czarism was put down in 1863 and the Roman print in the press was banned, the ways of book-smugglers (so-called knygnešiai) went through Palanga. It was namely in Palanga that a Lithuanian play America in the Bathhouse (Amerika pirtyje) was for the first performed in the years of the ban on the press (1899).
In Palanga town municipality, the service sector is particularly well-developed – the most popular economic activities are trade, hotels and restaurants, real estate, renting and other business activities.
Palanga is the largest climatic, balneological and mud therapy resort in Lithuania, which has already been functioning for one and a half centuries. The marvellous sea, big fine sand beaches and numerous events attract to Palanga not only Lithuanians, but also foreign guests. On the way from the Palanga centre to Šventoji, near Kunigiškai, there is the Palanga International Airport. The settlement of Šventoji is located on the bank of the Šventoji River. Currently, near Šventoji settlement and Palanga town limit, there is a Būtingė border crossing point and a customs office. It is the closest way to the Latvian cities of Liepāja and Riga.
Architectural monuments of Palanga – the structures of the 19th century: the Old Pharmacy, Birutė Hill chapel, Neo-Renaissance palace of the counts Tyszkiewicz (now – Palanga Amber Park Museum) in the Botanical Park, the Church of the Assumption. Palanga is famous for its traditional events. A tradition that has existed for already more than a century – concerts of wind instruments in the Botanical Park in the summertime. In July–August 2008, the fourth Palanga Summer festival took place. On the terrace of the Palanga Amber Park Museum, a cycle of concerts of the Lithuanian Chamber Orchestra Night Serenades (Nakties serenados) is performed. Traditional international circuit motor races have already been organised for nine years in a row.
Palanga town municipality
Palanga tourism information centre
Tourist route Baltic Amber Route