Pasvalys district municipality

  Administrative centre – Pasvalys
  Area – 1289 km² (16.4 % of the county’s area)
  Population – 32 530 (11.4 % of the county’s population)
  Wards – Daujėnai, Joniškėlis parish, Joniškėlis town, Krinčinai, Namišiai, Pasvalys parish,   Pasvalys town, Pumpėnai, Pušalotas, Saločiai, Vaškai


Pasvalys district municipality is located in the north of Lithuania, in Panevėžys county, at the border with Latvia. The region is characterised by a flat terrain (Žiemgala, Mūša–Nemunėlis lowlands); it is a region of fertile river valleys. There are the Pyvesa hydrographical, Lepšynė botanical reserves. The territory is crossed by the Mūša River with tributaries the Mažupė, Lėvuo, Pyvesa, Tatula. There are 2 lakes and 4 ponds. The largest forests – those of Jakūboniai, Moliūnai, part of the Žalioji wood. Agricultural land makes up 75 %, forests – 16.6 %, roads – 1.8 %, built-up area – 2.5 %, water bodies – 1.9 %, other land – 2.1 % of the municipality.

There are two towns – Joniškėlis and Pasvalys, and seven townships – Daujėnai, Krikliniai, Krinčinas, Pumpėnai, Pušalotas, Saločiai, Vaškai.

The centre of the district municipality – Pasvalys – first mentioned in 1497 in a letter of the grandson of Jogaila Alexander to a priest Jonas Grotas on the establishment of a church. In 1557, three treaties between the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Livonian Order were concluded there. In 1919–1924, it was a Biržai-Pasvalys, in 1947–1950 – Pasvalys county centre.

Pasvalys region was being devastated by the often marches of the Swedish army to Russia in the 17th and at the beginning of the 18th century. The locals participated in the uprising of 1863. In the years of the ban on the Lithuanian press, there was a union of book-smugglers (so-called knygnešiai) in Pasvalys region.

Today Pasvalys district is crossed by important roads. In respect of the area, the district is among the smallest in the country; however, it is characterised by particularly fertile soil, which is therefore intensively exploited. It is a highly urbanised region with well-developed agriculture and forestry. It is known as a land of big gardens. Industry is poorly developed (most of the enterprises – those engaging in food industry, producing meat products, cheeses, butter, flour, bread and bakery products). At all times, the locals have been known as skilful brewers; therefore, the coat of arms of the town is wreathed with hops.

There are more than 150 cultural and natural monuments, the most important whereof – an ensemble of manor buildings and a park in Joniškėlis, Balsiai watermill, Puškoniai windmill, the church of Sts Peter and Paul the Apostles in Krinčinas, Niurkoniai chapel and belfry.