Ukmergė district municipality

  Administrative centre – Ukmergė
  Area – 1395 km² (14.3 % of the county’s area)
  Population – 45 868 (5.4 % of the county’s population )
  Wards – Deltuva, Lyduokiai, Pabaiskas, Pivonija, Siesikai, Šešuoliai,   Taujėnai, Ukmergė town, Vepriai, Vidiškės, Želva, Žemaitkiemis


The largest part of Ukmergė district municipality is situated on the Aukštaičiai Upland and Plateau, its northern part – on the Nevėžis Lowland. The uplands are separated from the lowlands by the Šventoji River with tributaries the Siesartis and Armona. There are the Berzgainiai historical landscape, Armona geological, Barnėnai and Kintynė botanical (cranberry) reserves. There are about 30 lakes (the largest – Lėnas, Žirnajai and Siesikai) and 2 ponds. Soils are mainly light loam and turfy, suitable for agriculture. Mixed forests are predominant; the largest forests – those of Taujėnai, Šešuoliai, Viliukai and Siesikai. Agricultural land makes up 54 %, forests – 31.8 %, roads – 2.2 %, built-up area – 2.4 %, water bodies – 2.6 %, other land – 7 % of the municipality.

There is one town – Ukmergė, and ten townships – Deltuva Lyduokiai, Pabaiskas, Siesikai, Šešuoliai, Taujėnai, Vepriai, Vidiškiai, Želva, Žemaitkiemis.

The centre of the district municipality – Ukmergė – is one of the oldest settlements in Lithuania, built in 1255 by the Duke Dausprungas. In 1791, it was granted Magdeburg rights. Until World War I, the town was called Vilkmergė.

The town is an important transport centre. At all times, Ukmergė was an industrial centre, famed for its cabinetmakers, metalworkers, light industry workers.

Ukmergė town is crossed by the Šventoji River, on the right bank whereof there is the Ukmergė castle mound and the Old Town of Ukmergė, which is a monument of urban development.

Important architectural monuments – the church of Sts Peter and Paul the Apostles, a synagogue, a building of the railway station. The town is next to the Pivonija wood.

Ukmergė district is a region of Lithuania that is rich in its historical past and perspective future. It is surrounded by lakes, forests, cosy villages, castle mounds, mansions, characterised by a distinctive landscape, tied with the blue ribbon of the Šventoji River. The past is reminded of by Ukmergė, Šinkūnai, Juodausiai, Bartkūnai, Sukiniai and other castle mounds, Taujėnai and Daugailiai mansions and parks, the church of St Bartholomew the Apostle, the church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Taujėnai, the Evangelical Reformed church in Deltuva, the belfry of the Šešuoliai church. In 1435, a battle between the armies of Sigismund Kęstutian (Žygimantas Kęstutaitis) and Švitrigaila took place at Pabaisk. The village of Užulėniai is the homeland of the first president of Lithuania A. Smetona.


Useful links
Ukmergė district municipality
Ukmergė tourism and business information centre